TELEPHONE TYPE/DIAL HAMILTON AND INCHES SILVER WRIST WATCH HUNTER TRENCH WATCH CIRCA 1917
REF TREDIALP1010203 £ PLEASE EMAIL FOR PRICE AND INFO.
A VERY RARE AND BEAUTIFUL EARLY TRENCH WATCH DATED 1917. NOTE THE VERY UNUSUAL CASE DESIGN. USED TO ENABLE SERVICE MEN
TO BE ABLE TO READ THE TIME WITHOUT OPENING THE FRONT PROTECTION LID. THE GUARD WOULD PROTECT THE ENAMELLED DIAL FROM BLAST AND SCHRAPNEL
AND ALSO ENABLE THE WEARER TO VIEW IN LOW LIGHT WITHOUT ATTRACTING UNWANTED ATTENTION FROM THE ENEMY.
- SOLID SILVER HALMARKED CASE
- GOOD QUALITY SWISS CALIBER
- IN FINE CONDITION, SERVICED AND RUNNING WELL. CASE LID SPRINGS ONCE PUSHER AT 6 OCLOCK IS PRESSED.
MARKS - HALLMARKS - HISTORY CO HAMILTON AND INCHES EDINBOROUGH
The business was founded on 10 November 1866 by Robert Kirk Inches and his uncle, James Hamilton.
The firm opened its premises at 90A Princes Street, Edinburgh under the name of Hamilton & Inches, succeeding to Mackay, Cunningham & Co, where James Hamilton operated as Principal Assistant for 20 years.
In 1883 James Hamilton retired from the partnership leaving Robert Kirk Inches and his successors the right to continue the business using his name and leaving Robert in sole charge.
In 1887 they incorporated the old firm of Robert Bryson & Sons, and expanded into new premises including their own craftsmen's workshop at 87/88 Princes Street. The premises occupied part of a late 18th-century building, with a 19th-century shop front built out at ground level.
The firm obtained a Royal appointment as "goldsmiths, silversmiths, clock & watchmakers to Her Majesty" Queen Victoria.
Robert Kirk Inches was elected Lord Provost of Edinburgh and Knighted in 1915. He died on 2nd August 1918.
Two of his sons followed the father in the family business. The elder, Robert Inches, suddenly died in 1900 while the younger, Edward James Inches, became partner in 1912 and continued to manage the firm until his death in 1934.
The business was continued by his eldest son Campbell, followed by his younger brother Ian Hamilton Inches who, in 1950, became the proprietor of the firm. He was assisted by his wife Deirdre "Betty" Inches as Consultative Director and by D. Ian T. Kinnear as Executive Director (1966).
In 1952 the firm moved to 87 George Street, Edinburgh.
The activity continued to be a family business until 1992, when the Inches sold the firm to the luxury group Asprey of London.
From 1998, after a management buy-out, Hamilton & Inches was sold by Asprey and returned an independent company. It is now the only Scottish manufacturing goldsmiths company to survive from 19th century.
Hamilton & Inches holds a Royal Warrant to Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II as silversmiths.